Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Twerking with Obama. And a little bit about my job.

      Just kidding I don't actually twerk. And Obama hasn't had the wonderful privilege of meeting me yet. I just wanted to say that. 

         So I guess I’ll call this stage in my life “Forced extroversion so I don’t just sit there and only be friends with the people I live with.” Now I know what you’ll say, “Mariah, you’re totally an extrovert.” First of all, thank you so much for putting my personality into a box. Second of all, I don’t even know what I am because I’m super awkward when I first meet people. Ok, I’m super awkward all the time, but I’m less aware of it once people are used to me. 

     That being said, I’ve spent about every night this week either hiding in my room and watching TV shows on my computer, or playing games with my house-mates. (Oh the joys of moving to a new place where you know no one.) So when my friend Grace said “Mariah, do you want to go to a dance party tonight?” I was like “Of-freaking-course!!” And then she said something to the effect of “Oh, well I’m not going to go, but my friend Becca and some other people are going to go to a party on Capital Hill, and they’re leaving now.” So I rushed to go put on normal people clothes (instead of my super-comfy lounging clothes) and booked it to the metro. I had met Becca twice before but hadn’t really gotten to know her or talk to her much either time. There was also one other person I knew who I was meeting at the metro who I had met for a total of 30 seconds one time when he was touring my house. Besides that, I had no idea who to look for at the metro. I was waiting in front of one of those huge fans that elementary schools have in their gyms (because DEAR LORD D.C. is hot and humid) when I saw a group of people walk over to the metro-card-buying-thing. I was pretty sure it was the group I was waiting for, but I didn’t want to walk up to them and totally be wrong. So I nonchalantly called Becca while staring at the group from a distance, nonstop, like some sort of friend-stalker. Yay! It was them!

   So I met up with my new friends. They seem like cool people. They weren’t afraid to sing Britney Spears songs on the metro, so you know, I feel like they’re probably accepting people.

  I don’t know why there was a party on Capital Hill, but my new friends told me it was supposed to be about “breaking down barriers.” I didn't get that from the party, because when we got there, it was about 50 white 20 somethings dancing to Lady Gaga. Ah well, after receiving our complimentary glo-sticks, my friends and I started dancing.

Proof that I don't make these stories up.

      Before I go into a tangent about a weird conversation that happened next, I would like to officially state that I think Capitol Hill parties should be for people of all ages. That being said, sense everyone there looked under the age of 25, this guy came up to me who stood out like a sore thumb. He was obviously in his thirty’s and he was wearing a business-suit outfit… at a dance. I thought he was one of the people who organized the party or something. But I was wrong.  Here is the conversation we had:

Him: Hi, I’m “so and so,” a friend of Alex.

Me: (I have no idea who Alex is.) Ok, cool.

Him: I’m a lawyer, I work in the commerce building, I was appointed by the Bush Administration.

Me: Holy Crap!

(And then folks, get ready for the weird part. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to start discussing politics at a rave on Capital Hill… I mean it seems fitting right. I just don’t know what it was about the way I was wearing my glow-sticks or the way that I was waving-my-hands-in-the-air-like-I-just-don’t-care that screamed “please assume that I want to talk about abortion and how no one should do it.”)

Him: It’s so good to finally meet people who are pro-life.

Me: Uh Yeah       

Him: It’s like I don’t have anything in common with the people in my office.

Me: Wait, people here are pro-life or people in your office are pro-life?

Him: Here.

Me: Oh, Ok.

Him: It’s just so good to finally be around people who agree with me.

Me: Of course!

Then I proceeded to be really vague about my life/ lie when he asked me questions about myself; and I boogied myself out of there and found a friend. 

You can't tell but this is totally me and Cara Smith.
 I got really excited because I wasn't expecting to see her there. 

     I don’t know why I felt the need to tell you guys about this.  It just struck me as really weird. I mean, I thought lawyers were supposed to be really charismatic, and know what to say and when to say it. Especially one that is really successful, right? Idk, whatever. It makes a vaguely good story.

    So, my dad made the comment that I only talk about partying in my blog… and I guess that story kind of proves his point. But let’s face it! It’s the most fun thing to talk about. It’s like when people post pictures of their food or their outfits on facebook. It’s nice and all, but it’s boring. Bring on the pictures of you doing fun stuff! So if you want to hear more about my job, continue reading.

   Basically I work for this amazing organization called Briya. They teach immigrants English, computer, and parenting skills. They currently help about 400 people become integrated into the U.S. It’s awesome. The staff is super diverse, many of them being former students of the school. So my job, is to help out the student that are sick. So far I’m still getting the hang of it. But I’m making home visits to students, going with them to the hospital and clinic, and a lot of other hodge-podge jobs that need to get done.  I will be helping with vision and hearing screening, TB tests, and helping create lesson plans for their new Medical Assistant program. It’s pretty all over the place actually.

    I work with this nurse is this lady who’s been a community nurse for the past 40 years. Literally she is the epitome of a community nurse. For example, we’re on a way back from visiting a woman at her house. We meet this gentleman at the bus station. He seems to be walking really unstable, and looks like he needs help. She starts to talk to him, turns out he is on his way back from the hospital. He had fallen down and hit his head. She gives him money for the bus and talks to him about these great community programs he would be eligible for that would pick him up at his house and such. She also knows EVERYONE in the health care community, Doctors, nurses, medical assistants, patients, on and on.  It’s quite overwhelming.

Ok, I think that’s about enough for today!

Adios!         

No comments:

Post a Comment