Sunday, September 8, 2013

Nascar and Dancing.

So I keep saying to myself “It’s too early to write another blog. I don’t know what I’d write about yet.” And now I don’t even know where to start! I guess I’ll start with last weekend.

On Saturday, a girl from my house got an email from a guy from one of the Churches that supports MVS that there was a going away party for a friend of his, at his house. Apparently the whole house was invited. When I heard about this, I assumed for some reason that this was going to be some middle-aged, family-friendly, meet and great. However, when we got there, it was quickly apparent that this was not the case. To my delight it was a cookout with a whole-bunch of twenty-somethings. (YAY! I get to meet people my age!) Except it also quickly became apparent that no one that I had come with knew anyone there. Apparently the host of the party just sent out a mass email inviting people and he happened to have one of my friend’s email address, although they had only met once before, about a year ago or so. So here were are, about 8 of us, huddled in a corner of the backyard not knowing anyone and not knowing how we ended up here; while everyone else is barbequing and obviously, you know… knowing each other, and understanding why they were there. Eventually, with the help of some refreshments, we started getting acquainted to the other people there. I can honestly say I made some extremely temporary friends that night (I doubt I will ever see any of them again.)

I also learned that night that I was no longer in D.C. (or Maryland for that matter which was my second guess.) So apparently I was at a party in Virginia! Which I guess isn’t a big deal on account of the size of the states around here; and on account of I don’t actually live in a state.   

On that note, the next day I got to go to Baltemore for some Nascar race with RACHEL NAFZIGER! We met up at my house and I got to meet her boyfriend. They basically treated me to a day out on the town. It was super nice of them, especially Rachel who I haven’t seen in 3 years! I had a great time. Basically, they blocked off a part of the city and had cars race around them. To get in, they had built stairs above the streets to get into the circle. The whole event reminded me of a rodeo, except for rich city people. But they had booths where they gave out free stuff, or you could take pictures in cars and stuff.


In front of the Pollo Campero just because D.C. has one. 


Look at these cuties!


Totally not photo shopped. This happened. 

On Monday, I spent my Labor Day helping clean a couple of friends move into their new house. This consisted of hammering poky staples back into the floor, washing window, cleaning bathrooms, but mostly it consisted of me trying to de-goo the Kitchen cabinets. I don’t know why but for some reason the cabinets were super super super sticky. AND NOTHING WORKED. It was probably the most dejecting part of my day when I tried 3 different types of cleaners to get the stickiness off the cabinets for at least an hour and the cabinets stayed just as sticky as they had been. WHYYYYY! Whatever, I guess they’re not my cabinets. Not my cabinet, not my problem, that’s what I always say.

 Grace and Keith helping out. 
This is a good before and after picture of the grime that was on the handles. Also you can just tell that the cabinets are sticky here. Ew. 

Wednesday was Anne’s Birthday, so I went to buy her a gift from the whole house. You know what’s stressful? Buying someone you’ve known for less than two weeks a present, that’s what. You know what’s more stressful? Buying the present on behalf of the whole house who you’ve also known for less than 2 weeks. But the most important detail of this whole story, is that I got to see a two story Target. The best part of a two story Target, is the cart-escalator. It never in my life occurred to me that these things might exist. It was definitely the biggest “OMG I’m from a small town” moment when I saw these things. So of course I took some pictures.

 Anne's birthday brownies. Notice our way of saying she is 23 with only 5 candles. 
 It took Anne about 3 breathes to blow out her 5 candles. 
 CART ESCALATOR OMG!


On Friday, I went out with the ladies of my house to go Salsa dancing. We went to this club in China-town (I didn’t see one Asian person there) called Cubralibre. You guys: this was a club where there was actually a 50:50 girl to guy ratio and all the guys wanted to dance and knew how to dance. This also blew my mind sense most of the dances I’ve ever been to have been the complete opposite. Needless to say I felt like a Latina princess whenever the guy was a strong leader and would twirl me around and stuff. I also felt widely incompetent anytime I got a dancing partner that wasn’t a super strong leader, and I would kind of just hope I was in step. However, I started talking to this guy who told me the trick was to purse your lips and make strong movements with your arms. So yeah! Apparently the “duck face” on the dance floor means “I am confident and I totally know what I’m doing” instead of “I have the mentality of a 13 year old girl” like it does in pictures. I was really impressed with the atmosphere of the club. They even had professionals do a show for us to give everyone a breather.

This is the best picture I could get.

Yesterday, the MVS house had a progressive dinner, and we got to meet some of the grownups who had done MVS in the past and are now… I guess… supporting us…. Or something? It was nice, good food. Today, I’m going to go to a free Yoga thing, and then hit up a festival that’s near my neighborhood.  


Hasta Luego! I hope I didn’t bore y’all! Actually, if I did I’m sure you stopped reading by now. Have a good day! 

1 comment:

  1. One of the Targets in ABQ has a cart escalator. You totes could have seen one months ago if you'd just gotten your butt down to the SW.

    ReplyDelete